[dundee] Next Meeting

Andrew Clayton dundee at lists.lug.org.uk
Wed Jun 25 22:15:01 2003

On Wed, 2003-06-25 at 20:08, Mark Harrigan wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 07:29:16PM +0100, Keir Lawson wrote:
> >
> > > I wouldn't worry about that... the kernel part alone could easily fill
> > > that time ;)
> > but do we want it to fill that time?  could get repedidtive/boring plua
> > all weve had so far is talk after talk. why not try something different
> >
> > keir
>
> To be fair Q&A doesn't work that well in a situation like that unless
> we've got a specific area to ask about that's why the talks are set
> out to set the tone and then the speaker can answer any
> questions. Generalised Q&A sounds like what the mailing list is for.

Yeah.. the mailing list is a good place for this... but nothing can
really beat face to face communications.

See for example what happens when you get a bunch of the GNOME or KDE
folks together....

> I realise you're trying to cultivate a more social air to the meetings
> but that does exist atm... it's just it tends to happen at the pub
> afterwards (ok it only happened once but we've only really had one

Trouble with the pub is, not everyone can attend.

> proper meeting). There's no way to force people into being social as you
> should have seen from the start of the previous meetings which
> consisted of uneasy silence followed by uneasy silence...
>
> Mark

Personally I've no problem with trying a Q&A session at the meeting.
Maybe it can be done kind of informally between talks/presentations or
after the main meeting has finished.

Probably best though to keep the questions relatively simple and which
only require brief answers, otherwise a written medium is probably
better.

--
Andrew