To pub or not to pub [Was Re: [dundee] The Pub]

Andrew Clayton dundee at lists.lug.org.uk
Mon Mar 3 22:40:01 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-03 at 21:22, Paul Mitchell wrote:
> Fair comment Dan - maybe a few of the words I used do not occur in the OED.
> On a more serious note, I can make it into Dundee, Mon-Frid after 19:00, so
> count me in if there is to be an initial meeting. I originally joined the
> group because my Linux knowledge is virtually nil and I need help in
> undertaking my first installation, advice on system requirements, security,
> browsers, e-mail client etc. I have Red Hat 6.1, although I have no idea if
> that is user-friendly for a beginner, or whether I should get another
> version.

Well it seems that a few people are up for a (pub) meeting. However at
least two people are under age (for an evening pub session anyway) and
one of whom can't make it.

Perhaps for a first meeting it would be better to arrange a time and
place where/when everyone can make it, (there aren't that many of us) so
everyone gets off on an equal footing.

Also from the above it looks like our first session should include a
mini install fest!

As for Dan Sullivan's comments on there perhaps being a lack of deep
Unix/Linux knowledge here. It's the first time that I've really thought
about that possibility. I my self have been using Linux for 7-8 years,
have also administered Solaris box's on and off for the past 3-4. I use
Linux exclusively at home.

There does seem to be at least a couple of other people on the list who
could claim similar.

On Mon, 2003-03-03 at 21:26, Duncan Gauld wrote.
>Just to let you all know.....
>
>I won't be able to make it on a Tuesday night
>
>Why not go to a DCUG (www.dcug.co.uk) meeting on the first time?
>(Or use the room there)

Certainly a room with power points is essential. How large is this room?
does it have worktops/tables/chairs/black|white boards/overhead
projector screen etc?

But, yeah, something like a University/College room should be pretty
ideal.

--
Andrew