To pub or not to pub [Was Re: [dundee] The Pub]

Mark Harrigan dundee at lists.lug.org.uk
Tue Mar 4 07:37:02 2003

Andrew Clayton wrote:

>Well it seems that a few people are up for a (pub) meeting. However at
>least two people are under age (for an evening pub session anyway) and
>one of whom can't make it.
>
>Perhaps for a first meeting it would be better to arrange a time and
>place where/when everyone can make it, (there aren't that many of us) so
>everyone gets off on an equal footing.
>

>Also from the above it looks like our first session should include a
>mini install fest!
>
>As for Dan Sullivan's comments on there perhaps being a lack of deep
>Unix/Linux knowledge here. It's the first time that I've really thought
>about that possibility. I my self have been using Linux for 7-8 years,
>have also administered Solaris box's on and off for the past 3-4. I use
>Linux exclusively at home.
>
>There does seem to be at least a couple of other people on the list who
>could claim similar.

It was a nice idea but real life got in the way. I was thinking that a
pub meeting would be a nice way for some of us to get to know each
other. A LUG is more than just a nerdy get together where we only talk
about *nix and the latest rantings of Richard Stallman, my experience
with my LUG (http://www.belfastlinux.org, 84 current members with a core
grouping of 20 highly involved people) back home is a very social thing,
if it were just computers all the time it'd have never gotten so
popular. My idea of going to the pub was to try and cultivate this from
the start. I'm still up for going to the pub, say O'Neils at 8:30
tonight, if anyone still feels like coming send a reply on-list.

//NOTE This is not the first offical meeting of TLUG, just a bit of a laugh.