[dundee] AHHHHHHHH

Andrew Clayton dundee at lists.lug.org.uk
Mon Mar 31 20:56:00 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-31 at 20:25, Keir Lawson wrote:
> I accidentally mucked up one of my partitions (or rather partitiondrake
> did)  i need to recover the data on it.  the partition was not
> reformatted and so the data should still be there somewhere.  i cant
> remember which file system it was (could have been ext3, xfs, jfs or
> reiserfs)  anyway there is a kernel panic whenever i try to boot from
> that partition.  please help
>
> keir

OK first off heres a tip for future use. Whenever you've done a new
install. Do a fdisk -l /dev/[hs]d[a-z] for each disk you have and store
the info in a safe place(s). <obvious> make sure you have this data on a
machine other than the one you took it on ;) </obvious>

Before doing any sort of rescue attempt. It may b work while (if you
have the resources) to make a backup of the disk as it is now. Something
like a dd if=/dev/hda of=/tmp/fsckd-disk.img, where /dev/hda is the
fsckd disk and /tmp/fsckd-disk.img is on a different disk.

Well, assuming you don't have this info. Booting from a rescue disk,
doing a fdisk -l /dev/[hs]d[a-z] may help to determine the extent of the
damage. If it seems one partition is gone, it should be trivial to work
out what is should be and put it back in. Or like wise if it seems the
first and last have gone, you should be able to work this out.

If you get the fdisk -l data, post it here....

Andrew Clayton