[dundee] AHHHHHHHH

Mark Harrigan dundee at lists.lug.org.uk
Mon Mar 31 21:09:08 2003

On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 08:25:18PM +0100, Keir Lawson wrote:
> I accidentally mucked up one of my partitions (or rather partitiondrake
> did)  i need to recover the data on it.  the partition was not
> reformatted and so the data should still be there somewhere.  i cant
> remember which file system it was (could have been ext3, xfs, jfs or
> reiserfs)  anyway there is a kernel panic whenever i try to boot from
> that partition.  please help

Have you tried to mount the partition after boot with a working install? I
assume you still have a working install because your mailer is the linux
version of mozilla. Try and mount the drive read-only using a variety of file
system types. Actually thinking on it if you run cfdisk (from root) it should
be able to give you a proper file system type, normal fdisk will only report
linux but on my system cfdisk can spot an xfs partition. Don't know about
the other types but assume it should do the same. If you find out the right
partition type and are still getting errors make a note of the exact error
and send it to the list. Also it might be useful to check /var/log/dmesg,
messages and syslog (may or may not be there) for any errors relating to
mount.

If we know the filesystem it'll be easier to recommend a solution as they all
have different tools to manage problems like this. Hopefully it won't get
that far.... I'd also recommend googling for similar problems, remember to
search in google groups too.
search in google groups too.