[dundee] Fileserver equivalent of smoothwall

Fionnbar Lenihan fionnbar at cix.co.uk
Tue Feb 24 15:04:08 GMT 2004

I've posted queries to this list before about fairly basic network stuff
so am hoping the asbestos shirt is not needed  <grin>

Finally figured out how to assign a spare machine on my home network a
stable IP address given that we use a black box appliance as an ADSL
modem / router / DHCP server.

Now keen to set up the spare machine as a fileserver / print server for
a mixed windows / Linux setup.

Is there something like Smoothwall for firewall / routers that is
designed specifically for this and would take much of the pain out of
install and setup?

I've had a google around to no avail.

If there is no such beast which of the conventional distros most closely
approaches that ideal?

Cheers
Fionnbar