[dundee] Fileserver equivalent of smoothwall

Andrew Clayton andrew at digital-domain.net
Tue Feb 24 16:14:22 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-24 at 15:04, Fionnbar Lenihan wrote:
> I've posted queries to this list before about fairly basic network stuff
> so am hoping the asbestos shirt is not needed  <grin>
>
> Finally figured out how to assign a spare machine on my home network a
> stable IP address given that we use a black box appliance as an ADSL
> modem / router / DHCP server.
>
> Now keen to set up the spare machine as a fileserver / print server for
> a mixed windows / Linux setup.
>
> Is there something like Smoothwall for firewall / routers that is
> designed specifically for this and would take much of the pain out of
> install and setup?
>
> I've had a google around to no avail.

I've not seen something like that either...

> If there is no such beast which of the conventional distros most closely
> approaches that ideal?

Just do a minimal install of Fedora Core 1 and use the the
redhat-config-samba gui to set it up or install swat (web based samba
config) if your not up to speed on the smb.conf file...

Other distros may have something similar...

Samba can be really simple to setup, other times it can be a
nightmare.... (not really through any fault of Samba, usually M$
machines fscking things up)

One rule of thumb, in Windows disable NetBUI and use TCP over netbios
instead...

> Cheers
> Fionnbar

Andrew