[dundee] Looking for SPARC32 hardware to test

Martin Habets habets_martin at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Sep 9 15:36:56 BST 2005

In order to help fix some 2.6 Linux kernel problems, I am looking for the following SPARC32
hardware to test (or have tested):

1) A machines with one or more Ross HyperSparc CPU's (check for HyperSparc in /proc/cpuinfo).
   These seem broken after 2.6.10 at the moment, causing disk corruption it seems.
2) sun4m SMP machines (check for type sun4m and ncpus in /proc/cpuinfo).
   Some fixes for this in 2.6, but more work needed.
3) Machines with an external speakerbox. I need to test my driver for these.

The first two items are among the reasons that sparc32 support is being dropped from Debian,
so "it-works" reports are also welcome (on any distro).
I need not test this personally if you feel up to it. If needed I can use one of my own
hard drives (if you cannot afford to screw up the root disk partition).

There also seem to be problems with the CS4231 ALSA sound driver on 2.6, present on some
sparc32 and sparc64 machines. I may look into this on a longer term, but again don't have
this hardware myself.

Thanks,
Martin