[dundee] Zoom X4 modem

Paul Mitchell paul at mitchell6224.fsnet.co.uk
Fri Jan 6 16:57:49 GMT 2006

Hello all  - I recently sent out a request for help about  configuring a
Copperjet ADSL modem to run off SUSE 9.3 - I think I sent the request to
the administrator instead of the distribution list addy. It's probably been
ignored because silly twats who do things like that, deserve to be
ignored...

Since sending out the previous request I've dug around a bit and the
consensus seems to be that USB modems are not well suited to Linux. I found
a link on one of the SUSE forums to an ADSL modem that runs through either
a LAN port or a serial port>>>

http://www.zoom.com/products/adsl_overview.html

This one seems to be a candidate because it acts as a firewall too>>>

Model 5651 X4 ETHERNET/USB ADSL 2/2+Modem

Apparently there is documentation with the modem outlining how to configure
it to run off several Linux distros. However, if there is anything I should
be aware of - any pitfalls or possible glitches, whether it's best to use
the serial port or the LAN port etc - please drop me an e-mail. I'm going
to try configuring it myself so if you hear swearing from the Forfar area
it'll be me.

Thanks

Paul