[dundee] Scripting across logins

Martin Habets errandir_news at mph.eclipse.co.uk
Mon Jan 9 13:56:43 GMT 2006

On Sat, Jan 07, 2006 at 07:00:27PM +0000, Fionnbar Lenihan wrote:
> Hi Martin
>
> Thank you very much for the detailed reply
>
> I probably didn't make myself clear.  Printer is recognised fine by
> OS X.  The problem is that the driver which used to work under Jaguar
> 10.3 now doesn't under OS X.4

Do you have any idea what this 'driver' is exactly? Since OS X recognizes
the printer it's not an OS driver you're talking about, but rather some
library or daemon.
What indication do you have that OS X has recognized the printer?

> I would be concerned that if I followed your advice and connected via
> the lpd interface on my iBook I would run into the same driver problem?

I would expect that the old lpd technology and newer network-printer
stuff is separated. And I would expect it to just work on any unix machine.
After all, it's only about 34 years old :)

> My print to PS, copy to remote machine, throw against remote LPR
> method works fine, just very laborious.
>
> Have you any thoughts about expect scripting it?

Sorry, no clue what 'expect' is. I usually write shell scripts, they
could/should work on *nix.

> Would folk have any objections if I posted some of my efforts here?

Don't hold back! :)
I take it you've googled all the apple 'help' stuff. Welcome to a
proprietary OS and a life of confusion.

Martin