[dundee] Scripting across logins

Fionnbar Lenihan fionnbar at cix.co.uk
Mon Jan 9 17:03:42 GMT 2006

Hi Martin

"expect" is a tcl extension which can be used apparently to script
things that normally require human interaction and which are
difficult in shell scripts eg network logins, modem commands and the
like.

It is OSS.  Often built into shell scripts.  There is a manpage for
it in OS X but not sure if it is really there.

Have downloaded a package for OS X and will try again

I reckon the printer is recognised because

a) My wife's windows machine picks it up flawlessly

b) My previous incarnation of OS X ditto

c) The printer install utility recognises the printer and even the
make and model (probably from the details on the server share) and
seems to think there is a printer there

Now that is a weird thing

I just tried to print so as to get the error message and it just worked!

So, problem solved until the next OS upgrade.  No idea why mind!

<grin>

Thanks for your help.

For what it's worth I was a linux-only user for some years but
weakened a year or so ago.  OS X is at least semi-open (Darwin) and
uses open standards like CUPS, LPD, PDF, PS etc

Mostly the hardware recognition I like OS X for.  Prefer Linux for my
server where that is less of an issue.

Thanks again

Fionnbar