[dundee] Xboxes etc.

Nistur nistur at googlemail.com
Sat Dec 8 21:39:22 GMT 2007

I was just wondering, what do people know of filesystems and in
particular filesystem checking? For some reason when I try booting
Archlinux on my XBox it fails with the following error:
http://pastebin.archlinux.org/20480  I tried running fsck from the
liveCD and it passed with no errors ($?=1) I also checked what it said,
and changed the "magic number" although I changed it to 32768 as I
believe I have 4k blocks... but anyway, that gave a huge list of errors
and asked if I wanted them fixed, one at a time, I obviously said yes
and rebooted and I got the same error. Booting the liveCD again and
running e2fsck -b 32768 gave exactly the same errors, again fix to all,
then check again and it gives the same errors again...
I checked the sparse file I installed Arch to and copied from and I got
the same errors... but again fixing doesn't fix... I don't know if this
is a problem with the specific version of e2fsck I have, the xbox or what...

after asking on IRC for a bit I found that the XBox does not, infact
have a partition table at all, well, until you install xebian that is.
The partitions are implicit as every xbox is imaged with the same
partitions. This, for some reason, gives the "XBox" partitions C through
G, hda50, hda51 hda52.. and xebian writes a partition table, setting the
/ partition to hda2 and swap to hda1. I don't know if this is anything
to do with anything but I though it worth mentioning, just in case.

So, any ideas?

Nistur