[dundee] My answer to Chris and Arron( graphics issue) Next Installment S1E5

Robert McWilliam rmcw at allmail.net
Sun Dec 9 21:37:17 GMT 2007

On 09/12/07 19:57:34, Arron M Finnon wrote:
> Ubuntu uses this Unique I D for it's partition table but it
> can get pretty goosed, i tend to swap it to the partition table number,
> so the last time i deleted the UID number which should look like this
> UUID=4d47188f-df5c-4643-a003-1e572492fc15 and then swapped it for sda5.
> Once you have a wee look at that fstab file it makes a bot more sense.

The use of UID rather than device file is because the device file isn't always
the same, e.g. USB drives get a device file based on when they are connected
and there is no guarantees that multiple such drives will connect in the same
order after every boot. I've also heard of SATA drives on separate controllers
swapping round depending on which comes up first.

Robert McWilliam     rmcw at allmail.net    www.ormiret.com

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the
right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting
moment.
	-- Dorothy Nevill