[dundee] TLUG website passwords

Colin Brough Colin.Brough at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Jul 2 22:44:27 BST 2007

Hi folks, Jonathan

The lug.org.uk admins have noticed that the TLUG wiki is being filled
up with spam. And unless we clean things up, then they'll yank the
site - understandably!

Now, since TLUG started the folk who initiated it have moved on and I
for one have lost track of who actually has passwords for what. (This
discussion has come up once or twice at meets, with promises of "I'll
chase XXXX up and see what can be done..." but I don't think anything
has ever come of it.)

Currently "on the ground" most of the active folk are students at
Abertay Uni. Three years ago it was a different group of people,
largely associated with Dundee Uni. Who knows who will be around in
another three years...

However - and here comes the proposal - I am permanently in Dundee,
and unlikely to move for a considerable time. Though I can't always
get to the current meets (Thursday's aren't great for me), I'm happy
to hold the passwords. If other folk want to update the website or
handle the mailing list admin or whatever, then that would be great,
but I am offering to be the official contact and holder of the
passwords, so that if/when folk move on the LUG's domain and list
don't die.

Jonathan, the admins at lug.org.uk think you are their last known
contact for the group. Would you be happy with this?

Other folk locally, does this sound like a workable/acceptable plan?
Its embarrassing to see the last stuff on the website now more than 2
years out of date!

Some of the newer folk round the LUG in Dundee probably won't know me,
but I've been round Linux since before June 1993. I've contributed to
a few things over the years - probably most notably to jpilot - though
bits and bobs elsewhere too.

Cheers

Colin

Colin Brough                             Colin.Brough at blueyonder.co.uk