[dundee] Dell and Ubuntu

azmodie azmodie at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 16:43:34 BST 2007

*on Wednesday July 11*
*The apparent price advantage of Ubuntu Dell over
Vista<http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/07/04/019215&tid=163>.
The article linked to a Dell IdeaStorm page with the status: 'Implemented.'
Today the status has changed on that page to 'Reneged: Ubuntu Dell is $225
More Than Windows
Dell<http://www.ideastorm.com/article/show/66879/Implemented_Ubuntu_Dell_is_50_Less_Than_Windows_Dell#>.'
The full price of a Ubuntu Inspiron 1420N is indeed $50 cheaper than the
identical hardware configuration with Vista — except that a $275 free
upgrade to 2GB memory and a 160-GB hard drive is available for Windows only.

*on Friday July 13th
Dell confesses it made a mistake with its pricing and is now offering the
Inspiron 1420 laptop with Ubuntu and a full 2 gigabytes of RAM and a 160GB
hard-drive for $50 less than the same system with Windows Vista and not $225
more as had been the case last week.

I for one am glad to see Dell do this, they had me a little worried for a
while, good move Dell.
read more <http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS9933912441.html>

--
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a
very narrow field.