[dundee] iPlayer and the Beeb

Arron Finnon arron.finnon at hotmail.co.uk
Sat Jul 14 11:39:05 BST 2007

As some of you may remember from the last meeting that i had my little rant
about the Beeb and iPlayer, and the nux of what i was saying that the Beeb
should in no way be making people use proprietary software over any other
software.

Now the BBC trust has invited members of the Open Source Community to
discuss the matter, however i think this is more lip service.  As iPlayer is
due for release on 26th july i think and the meeting with OSC isn't until
January.  I must admit that i am happy with the level of criticism being
laid at the Beeb's door, which includes a formal complaint to the department
of trade and industry for giving a company an unfair competitive edge, and
also a complaint to OFCOM as well, which both complaints (in this nix lover)
is well justified.  I think the queen is peeved with them as well, as she's
not going to be able to watch her documentary on her Ubuntu box, and she's
going to have to borrow Philip's windozer box.