[dundee] Microsoft/Linux Equation

Bruce Stewart bruce_stewart at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Jun 15 12:20:32 BST 2007

It's fairly simple, MSFT knows that because of the development method,
Linux/FLOSS is a real threat, because they cannot buy out or undercut the
competition like with Netscape, OS/2 etc.
Nevermind it cannot co-opt the ideas like Stacker, etc.
In addition you have a company that doesn't really understand the ideas of
partnership; "A Microsoft partner is just a victim they haven't gotten round
to yet.", competition;  "Windows [n.]
 A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch
to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit
microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one
bit of competition." or standards; "I love the way that Microsoft follows
standards . . . in the same way that fish follow migrating caribou.".

If MSFT wanted to increase interoperability with 3rd party companies, all it
would need to do is:
1) Use existing standards and do not extend them.
2) Any changes/extensions are adopted through the existing standards
processes.
3) Properly document and publish its file and transmission formats. Not like
with the "OpenXML", "this is how Word 6 did this" style. Though from
listening to numerous netcasts from Jeremy Allison, it's possible that MSFT
has not properly documented them in the first place or even lost the
documentation.
4) Not use its BogoPatents to threaten 3rd party companies.

Bruce S.