[dundee] Microsoft/Linux Equation

Martin Habets errandir_news at mph.eclipse.co.uk
Fri Jun 15 18:05:19 BST 2007

On Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 12:02:17PM +0100, Digit (SG) wrote:
> (oh the lush irony... writing this on a PC using winXP)
> :D

That's okay, as long as you wash your hands before moving on to a
decent OS :).

As for the hidden agenda... normally Microsoft's hidden agenda is:
"if you can't beat them, buy them".
They will still try stick to this, but with GPL that does not work.
So they move on to their next approach:
"if you can't beat them, license them".
Sadly for them, that also won't always work. Once they figure that
out (I'm not sure this coin has dropped for them yet), they might
move on to:
"if you can't beat them, cooperate with them".
Who knows, could take another 2 years before they realy get it.
Microsoft may *say* they want to cooperate, but I only believe what
they actually *do*. The rest is just marketing talk.

Martin

> On 15/06/07, Gordon Dunlop <gordon at zubenel.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >Hi All,
> >
> >When Microsoft started these license agreements with Linux distros, the
> >reason given was that is was for to increase interoperability between
> >operating systems and hence a benefit to the customer that uses
> >heterogenious IT environments. Commentators have said Microsoft has a
> >hidden agenda and gave different reasons for this.
> >
> >Now, what are the Taylug subscribers opinions of what Microsoft's hidden
> >agenda could be. I am sure we would get a lot of variance in opinion and
> >somewhere through it all snippets of truth would emerge helping to give
> >a clearer overall picture.
> >
> >Gordon
> >

> --
> The Universe speaks in many languages, but only one voice. The language is
> not Narn, or Human, or Centauri, or Gaim or Minbari. It speaks in the
> language of hope; It speaks in the language of trust; It speaks in the
> language of strength, and the language of compassion. It is the language of
> the heart and the language of the soul. But always, it is the same voice. It
> is the voice of our ancestors, speaking through us, And the voice of our
> inheritors, waiting to be born. It is the small, still voice that says: We
> are one. No matter the blood; skin; world; star; We are one. No matter the
> pain; darkness; loss; fear; We are one. Here, gathered together in common
> cause. we agree to recognise this singular truth, and this singular rule:
> That we must be kind to one another, because each voice enriches us and
> ennobles us, and each voice lost diminishes us. We are the voice of the
> Universe, the soul of creation, the fire that will light the way to a better
> future. We are one.

---
Martin