[dundee] The Abertay Linux Society

azmodie azmodie at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 19:47:16 GMT 2007

The University of Abertay Linux User's Society

Interested in knowing more about Linux?
Not too sure where to start?
Have you been running Linux and just want to meet other Linux Users?

Then Time To Join The Linux Society

15th March 7pm UADSA Cinema (level 3)

Who are we?

We are a society that promote the use of Linux as a a replacement for
Windows, and the promotion of open source software in general.  We are happy
to help people that are new to Linux and Open Source  Software,   Our
Society is open to everyone, and even non-students are welcome to join.

If you would like to know more about Linux you can find some great
information on Linux.org <http://linux.org/> and they can be found here
http://www.linux.org/info/

What do we do?

We promote the use of Linux as a replacement to Windows, and hold regular
meetings and talks on Linux Operating Systems and their many variants.   We
are a Society that aims to get people together to discuss Linux as an
Operating System.

What do i need to join The Linux Society?

The only thing you need to bring is yourself and a inquisitive frame of
mind.  Don't worry about having a copy of Linux before you come to the first
meeting, we're bound to have a copy you can have.  If you want to try Linux
before you come to your first meeting then you can download many different
types of Linux from the internet and put it on a disc, most Linux distro's
(Distributions) are freely available, and most have a LiveCD option.

A LiveCD generally refers to a Linux Distro that can run straight from your
CD-Drive on your computer without having to install anything to your hard
drive, so they are a great way of trying something new without reconfiguring
your computer.   (DistroWatch has a very good list of Linux Distro's the
address is http://distrowatch.com/)

So whatever your experience with computing and Linux in general come along,
we're there to help you learn more about Linux and Open Source Software.

So now you know what we're about why not come and meet us, if you have any
questions about the Linux society then please email one of the society
officers below;

William Cameron - 0501208 at abertay.ac.uk
Arron Finnon - 0605909 at abertay.ac.uk
Jennifer Higgins - 0600610 at abertay.ac.uk