[dundee] Digital TV in Linux

Andrew Clayton andrew at digital-domain.net
Mon May 14 21:43:32 BST 2007

On Sat, 5 May 2007 12:25:51 +0100, Lee Turner wrote:

> I'm going to be evil and add this;
>
> I got an mce infra-red remote working, and a hybrid tuner card working
> (digital and analog combined card) although, to be totally honest, I
> haven't gotten the analog part of it to work yet.
>
> I'm lucky enough to have been given the beta test version of
> MythDora, it certainly makes life easier (and is a BIG improvement on
> MythDora 3)
>
> Cheers all, and be enjoying DVB :]

I've never really understood what exactly you plug into the card when
doing DVB?

I have a Hauppauge WinTV PCI card, no DVB capability. My current setup
is a Satellite box connected to a VCR via SCART and the VCR connects to
the WinTV with just a normal tv aerial type connection.

I don't have anything like MythTV setup. I just have two monitors
hooked up to my machine, one is on a tv stand type thing and the
other is on my desk. If I want to watch TV or say a dvd, I have icons
setup to launch the right thing on the "TV" monitor. Simple but
effective.

In a few months time I may be looking at setting up a MythTV box and
doing things a little more integrated. Probably upgrading to a Hauppauge
PVR (good now the ivtv driver is in the mainline kernel, this has
been a put off in the past).

I'll be moving and won't have Sky, but may look at getting a Freeview
box, does that constitute DVB? Obviously I assume it would just have
the normal tv aerial type connector? Which again brings me back to my
original question, just what do you hook up to your DVB card?

Cheers for reading.

Andrew