[dundee] Re: Taylug Co-Administrator

Colin Brough Colin.Brough at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Nov 4 16:38:55 GMT 2007

> As far as i understand the vote was on Kris being co-administrator of
> the Dundee TayLUG.  As for the permanent roles of officers for the
> TayLUG i'm unsure.  It has not been mentioned at any meeting i can
> remember (I've been to all of them since the fortnightly meetings
> started) and that's going back a fair few months now, well into the
> 2006. and it's been widely accepted that TayLUG was kind of defunct
> which is why the society was created in the first place.  In most cases
> LUG members vote on society matters as most from my impression see very
> little difference between the two organisations.  I would also say
> personally that i too would see my self as a member of both, but with
> honesty my roles dwells within the spectrum of the society, certainly
> for another year until re-election.
>
> Most society members would look at themselves as LUG members as well,
> and i don't think the majority of current active members knew Colin was
> a permanent secretary, i can certainly say with hand on my heart that i
> didn't, and i can imagine i'll not be the only one.  Gordon did call a
> meeting where we discussed the current set up for the administrator of
> the LUG, and there was 20 or so LUG members there, but no one discussed
> electing new officers, or ratifying existing ones.
>
> Maybe that's something that should be discussed in a meeting sometime in
> the near future, what do you think rb.  Maybe we could run joint
> elections each year for both organisations.  That way ensuring that a
> democratic process is in place, and members would be able to have
> frequent contact with the officers of the group that their involved in.
>
> I suppose all people who have an active interest in the list, and the
> lug should really comment on this.

As Arron says, TLUG was quiescent. Observing how that had come to be,
some of us realised that groups like this come in phases - period of
activity, then some of the active folk move on so a period of
inactivity... repeat! One of the problems, when a new group of
interested folks come along, is to be able to pass on a groups
identity - specifically these days the passwords to FTP space, mailing
list administration, and the like.

TLUG didn't ever have any office-bearers in a formal sense. I suspect
there were some named contact people with the UK LUGs folk
(http://www.lug.org.uk/), but that's about as far as it went. So what
I offered to be - and still am happy to be - is an (often silent)
password holding person who is likely (because of job and family
circumstances) to be around in Dundee for the foreseeable future - ie
several years. I don't really consider myself an "administrator" (I'll
do what little I can, but with a busy job and family that is sometimes
not much!), but can make sure the passwords don't get lost completely.

So Gordon sharing the passwords Kris, there being a meeting of members
to confirm that, etc, is all completely fine. I'm pleased the group is
actively supporting Linux stuff in Dundee! I just reckon its better to
keep things like passwords in more than one safe place... Consider me
the off-site backup, if you like :-)

Cheers

Colin

Colin Brough                             Colin.Brough at blueyonder.co.uk