[dundee] Hello!

Kaya Oguz kayaoguz at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 10:58:09 GMT 2007

Hello!
Well, it might be the good documentation, or the simple layout of a Qt
application because of C++. I know GTK has the GTKmm (or was it GTK--) but I
never tried it after I've got used to the simple Qt design. With the
Qt 4.xreleases, the framework got much easier.

The Qt documentation is the best I've ever browsed. Try
http://doc.trolltech.com/ and look at the latest (4.3) documentation. You'll
find a good tutorial, core features' modules and all major and minor classes
explained in detail and examples. The signal/slot system is very simple and
effective. The layout design tool is much better than anything I've used. A
few drag and drops and grouping you've got yourself a fine GUI. It also has
some widgets that are really cool, like the dial widget (for building retro
style GUIs :) )... And yet, of course, there is the community support,
something you just have out of the box for free software :)

Also I had the chance to compile the same applications for windows, too, so
I was able to do favors to my friends by developing applications for them
who were bound to use Windows.

So, you may want to give it a try, even on Windows, it is easy and fun.
take care,
--kaya

2007/11/6, Nistur <nistur at googlemail.com>:

> hi, I use linux, like everyone else, for as much as I can :). I have a
> desktop, a laptop, a PS2 (soon an XBox if I can be bothered) a handheld
> games console (GP2X) and until recently a smartphone all running Linux.
> I started off with KDE when I first began with linux but switched to
> gnome soon after as I found it to be stabler and I preferred the way it
> worked.
>
> I have yet to look into programming Qt and/or GTK but as we're using the
> windows API to make games at the moment, I was going to look at it very
> soon. I was wondering how you found the difference and why you thought
> Qt is easier.
> Thanks
> Nistur
>
> Kaya Oguz wrote:
> > Hello everyone!
> >
> > Well, I'm new around here and for the last two weeks I've been
> > following the messages in the mail-list and as far as I could see
> > there are many network guys out there. So I just wondered if there are
> > any desktop linux users (I've seen Ubuntu & GNOME users at the meeting
> > 2 weeks ago) - I mean using linux for desktop only.
> >
> > I didnt have a lot of chance to use Linux for networking since I had
> > only one PC running at home all the time. I was a Window Maker user
> > until I made a switch to some GNOME 2.x and then to KDE 3.5.x - I
> > tried GTK programming, but gave up. I did a lot of Qt programming
> > though :) I really like the way GNOME looks but Qt beats GTK at ease
> > of programming :) these are just my ideas by the way, no flames :)
> >
> > So, cheers!
> > --kaya
> >
> > --
> > --