[dundee] De Linuxing my laptop

Paul Lancaster paul_lancaster at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Nov 26 18:36:42 GMT 2007

Digit (SG) wrote:
> "As a side note, vista will be completely wiped from the machine upon
> return! *hurrrah!*"

See if you can get a rebate as you dont require the PC to be downgraded
to Vista

Check with trading standards as PC's are upgradable, even MS OS's are
upgradable - to what i'm not sure, they shouldn't be able to restrict
your upgrades, any changes / upgrades you make wouldn't be covered by
said warranty.
As the problem you have is hardware related - not software / OS, its the
hardware thats not fit for purpose. I'm not sure, but if its under 3
mths old can you ask for a new replacement. Before agreeing to a repair
get in writing that if the fault reoccurs they will replace with new.

>    still.... its a nice feature its got to enable the user to use usb
> flash drives as a RAM boost.   u can get 8 gig disks these days
> right?    how many usb2 slots yer puter got?   ... it makes ya
> wonder.   n i gotta ask the same question here... what's the linux
> version of that?   i'm sure some smart open source hacker fanatic has
> had his ram augmented just so for some time too now.

Apart from the usb transfer rate is slower than a hard drive, the
limited number of read/write cycles a flash drive can perform and I need
every usb port  i can get, with win xp/vista 32bit it cant address above
3.2gb of ram.
If your prepared to sacrifice a mem device - you'd be better of buying
an IDE 2 CF adaptor, put the root and boot on that, and maybe a second
cf for swap.
Done that on my Amiga 1200, the miggy is booted and running in les than
3 seconds, cant time it fully as the TFT monitor aint quick enough to
boot and sync before the miggy's ready.

Paul