[dundee] Garbled SMB filenames

Nistur nistur at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 4 10:27:45 BST 2007

I recently stuck my NAS enclosure on our network and then wanted to
download something onto it, not being entirely sure about the current
space on my laptop I decided to mount the samba share from the NAS
drive. I got it to mount no problem, however the filenames are all garbled.

Here is the output:

[root at minas-morgul mnt]# mount -t smbfs -o guest -o codepage=850
//storage/apps /mnt/apps
[root at minas-morgul mnt]# ls apps/
 2|  1394643.isot  4.0 Professionall  _cd1.isot  _cd2.iso  sktop 3.5z
ver.v2.5.3-DVXn  w  ?àÇ?  ïÄ?

I have also tried without the codepage, and with iocharset as both
iso8859-1 and utf8 both all with similar results.