[dundee] Garbled SMB filenames

Lee Hughes toxicnaan at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 4 12:23:08 BST 2007

hmmmm. interesting..

things to try

-t cifs (may just be an alias!)

put samba into debug mode, it may reveal clues.

Check firmware on nas? is it upto date? non buggy

try connect a winblows client? does it do the same?

this is interesting because most nas'es use Linux anyhow,
and just run samba too!

Unless your nas is evil! very evil, what is it?

Nistur <nistur at googlemail.com> wrote: I recently stuck my NAS enclosure on our network and then wanted to
download something onto it, not being entirely sure about the current
space on my laptop I decided to mount the samba share from the NAS
drive. I got it to mount no problem, however the filenames are all garbled.

Here is the output:

[root at minas-morgul mnt]# mount -t smbfs -o guest -o codepage=850
//storage/apps /mnt/apps
[root at minas-morgul mnt]# ls apps/
 2|  1394643.isot  4.0 Professionall  _cd1.isot  _cd2.iso  sktop 3.5z
ver.v2.5.3-DVXn  w  ?àÇ?  ïÄ?

I have also tried without the codepage, and with iocharset as both
iso8859-1 and utf8 both all with similar results.

Chat on IRC, #tlug on dundee.lug.org.uk