[dundee] Garbled SMB filenames

Lee Hughes toxicnaan at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 4 17:04:39 BST 2007

 can you access the share with smbclient ?

 smbclient -U username //servername-or-IP/share

Nistur <nistur at googlemail.com> wrote: hmmm, I believe my mount.cifs is playing up. If I try mount.cifs //storage/Music /mnt/music -o guest I get it saying TCP name storage/Music not found. However replacing storage with the static IP gives "Mount error 20 = not a directory".
 I just checked, local directories were entered correctly and even the NAS directories were in the correct case.

 On 10/4/07, Nistur <nistur at googlemail.com> wrote: OK, I'm back now, codepage 437 and 850 produce different, although similarly incomprehensible garbage. I'll continue trying to look into cifs...

 On 10/4/07, Nistur <nistur at googlemail.com > wrote:   I have not yet, I was a bit busy this morning. I'm just off to uni for an hour japanese session... I'll have a go after that
 Thanks again

  On 10/4/07, James Le Cuirot <chewi at aura-online.co.uk  > wrote:  On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 14:15:02 +0100
Nistur <  nistur at googlemail.com > wrote:

> Ok, the NAS is just a cheap enclosure I picked up when I trashed my
> PC the end of last year as I wanted to keep my 300GB HDD. Sumvision
> something or other. I tried CIFS as well but it couldn't resolve the
> name, I even tried with the IP, I had a look at man mount.cifs and
> everything. I haven't a clue about the firmware, I tried a while ago
> to brave the ravenous wastelands of the sumvision site to look for
> new one. I'll try that a bit later. As for windows, my WinXP VM
> currently has it mapped as a network drive and is working fine.
> >From the NAS http control panel, I can't find any mention of CIFS
> >either, it
> has samba access and ftp but that's it.
>
> Thanks all :)

Yeah Samba can mean cifs and/or smbfs. I would expect either to work. I
have found that sometimes it only works when you give the IP but you
tried that. Did you try codepage 437?

James

Chat on IRC, #tlug on dundee.lug.org.uk

Chat on IRC, #tlug on dundee.lug.org.uk