[dundee] Garbled SMB filenames

Lee Hughes toxicnaan at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 4 17:01:32 BST 2007

hmmmmm.. okay... this may be a syntax problem
make sure you've got nmbd running

you just reminding me how ugly and horrible smb is !!!

it's a god awful protocol, hats of to the samba guys for
doing lots of reverse engineering to get it to work!

you need get some debug!!!

mount -t cifs //server/share /mnt --verbose -o user=username

hohohoh ..

iocharset
   Charset used to convert local path names to and from   Unicode. Unicode is used by default for network path   names if the server supports it. If iocharset is   not specified then the nls_default specified   during the local client kernel build will be used.   If server does not support Unicode, this parameter is   unused.

it's not anything to do with this is it!

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/utf-8.xml

Nistur <nistur at googlemail.com> wrote: hmmm, I believe my mount.cifs is playing up. If I try mount.cifs //storage/Music /mnt/music -o guest I get it saying TCP name storage/Music not found. However replacing storage with the static IP gives "Mount error 20 = not a directory".
 I just checked, local directories were entered correctly and even the NAS directories were in the correct case.

 On 10/4/07, Nistur <nistur at googlemail.com> wrote: OK, I'm back now, codepage 437 and 850 produce different, although similarly incomprehensible garbage. I'll continue trying to look into cifs...

 On 10/4/07, Nistur <nistur at googlemail.com > wrote:   I have not yet, I was a bit busy this morning. I'm just off to uni for an hour japanese session... I'll have a go after that
 Thanks again

  On 10/4/07, James Le Cuirot <chewi at aura-online.co.uk  > wrote:  On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 14:15:02 +0100
Nistur <  nistur at googlemail.com > wrote:

> Ok, the NAS is just a cheap enclosure I picked up when I trashed my
> PC the end of last year as I wanted to keep my 300GB HDD. Sumvision
> something or other. I tried CIFS as well but it couldn't resolve the
> name, I even tried with the IP, I had a look at man mount.cifs and
> everything. I haven't a clue about the firmware, I tried a while ago
> to brave the ravenous wastelands of the sumvision site to look for
> new one. I'll try that a bit later. As for windows, my WinXP VM
> currently has it mapped as a network drive and is working fine.
> >From the NAS http control panel, I can't find any mention of CIFS
> >either, it
> has samba access and ftp but that's it.
>
> Thanks all :)

Yeah Samba can mean cifs and/or smbfs. I would expect either to work. I
have found that sometimes it only works when you give the IP but you
tried that. Did you try codepage 437?

James

Chat on IRC, #tlug on dundee.lug.org.uk

Chat on IRC, #tlug on dundee.lug.org.uk