[dundee] How to stream TV card audio & video?

Mirosław Majka mirekmajka at o2.pl
Thu Oct 4 21:31:43 BST 2007

Hi,
this is my fist mail here, so don't flame me for starters!

Now I had this idea that I could ssh to my home computer in Poland. I
have a TV card there and its perfectly configured and setup to use
TVtime for a lot of TV channels. My first idea was:
- let's export DISPLAY=myCurrentIPinDundee:0
- set xhost + on my Laptop here
- run tvtime remotely to send video to my X server here
That didn't work. Maybe some issues with granting rights to the server.
I didn't even go further to transmit sound when a friend of mine told me
that I could just emerge (I use Gentoo there and on my laptop) some kind
of streaming server that would acquire both video and audio on my PC in
Poland and later I could connect to it with some kind of video player
like mplayer.
    I have no idea what kind of software install there and how to
configure it. I've read some info about MythTV but I have no idea if
this will work. I would appreciate any suggestions on how to get FREE TV
in UK :) (beg my pardon, who the f*** invented this TV licencing sh**??
The most retarded idea I have ever heard of)

Cheers, TayLUG!

Yours,

Mirek :)

--
UNIX is like sex: If you don't know it, you don't miss is. But if you know it, you'll need it.