[dundee] OpenBIOS/LinuxBIOS

gordon dunlop gordon at zubenel.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Oct 11 23:44:22 BST 2007

When I went onto the Linuxbios site my heart nearly sank, I thought it
was my motherboard there, fortunately I have a A8N5X not a A8N-E, both
ASUS socket 939 - AMD64 motherboards - Nvidia4 chipsets - PCI express.
Slight differences ( I am trying to find out what the differences are,
all my motherboards in the computers I build are ASUS, so I'm an ASUS
fanboy). I would not want to try out Linuxbios on my main workstation (
I already have grey hairs from my Fedora 6 being loused up after moving
partitions, see previous posts). One thing that I noticed on the
Linuxbios site was the specification of the northbridge chipset and
southbridge for the A8N-E, which gave AMD for Northbridge and Nvidia
CK804 for the southbridge. On my A8N5X my northbridge is Nvidia CK804
and the southbridge (SATA controller) is Nvidia MCP04. In a Linuxbios
testing post (which I accidentally picked up via Google) they were
testing a A8N5X using coding for a southbridge Nvidia CK804! Obviously I
am missing something here, are there any hardware experts in Taylug that
could enlighten me on this as I am confused in the differences on
northbridge and southbridge descriptions between proprietary motherboard
descriptions and Linuxbios.

Gordon