[dundee] OpenBIOS/LinuxBIOS

Lee Hughes toxicnaan at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Oct 12 00:28:09 BST 2007

I'd love to be able to help you here

but this it new stuff! and it's hot!!!

great idea!!! well on the way to the open source computer!

hahahaha

I know this might sound a bit obvious, but have you tried
asking on the mailing list for that project???

I've just checked my mobo, and it's not on the list! darn!

gordon dunlop <gordon at zubenel.freeserve.co.uk> wrote: When I went onto the Linuxbios site my heart nearly sank, I thought it
was my motherboard there, fortunately I have a A8N5X not a A8N-E, both
ASUS socket 939 - AMD64 motherboards - Nvidia4 chipsets - PCI express.
Slight differences ( I am trying to find out what the differences are,
all my motherboards in the computers I build are ASUS, so I'm an ASUS
fanboy). I would not want to try out Linuxbios on my main workstation (
I already have grey hairs from my Fedora 6 being loused up after moving
partitions, see previous posts). One thing that I noticed on the
Linuxbios site was the specification of the northbridge chipset and
southbridge for the A8N-E, which gave AMD for Northbridge and Nvidia
CK804 for the southbridge. On my A8N5X my northbridge is Nvidia CK804
and the southbridge (SATA controller) is Nvidia MCP04. In a Linuxbios
testing post (which I accidentally picked up via Google) they were
testing a A8N5X using coding for a southbridge Nvidia CK804! Obviously I
am missing something here, are there any hardware experts in Taylug that
could enlighten me on this as I am confused in the differences on
northbridge and southbridge descriptions between proprietary motherboard
descriptions and Linuxbios.

Gordon

Nistur wrote:
> I have read reports on 3 second boot times to a console so if anyone
> has a supported motherboard that they trust themselves not to brick
> then I'd like to know if anyone succeeds :)

Chat on IRC, #tlug on dundee.lug.org.uk