[dundee] Fedora Core 3 htree error

Andrew Clayton andrew at digital-domain.net
Fri Oct 12 21:14:16 BST 2007

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 11:52:29 +0100, Alan S Frost wrote:

> Have you ever experienced this problem? How is it caused and how can
> I reset it please?

From the chattr man page

"The ’I’ attribute is used by the htree code to indicate that  a  direc-
       tory  is behind indexed using hashed trees.  It may not be set or reset
       using chattr(1), although it can be displayed by lsattr(1)."

Right, so this is the dir_index feature. tune2fs -l /dev/<fs device> will show among other stuff a line like

Filesystem features:      has_journal ext_attr resize_inode dir_index filetype needs_recovery sparse_super large_file

dir_index is used to speed directory access with large amounts of files.

Anaconda will have done this for you.

My workstation has a similar lsattr output as yours. So something else
must be wrong.

As Gordon said, make sure you are editing the file as root (or via
sudo).

If that's not it check that the immutable flag (i) hasn't got set on it.

$ lsattr /etc/hosts.deny

if so

# chattr -i /etc/hosts.deny

Failing that check that the whole filesystem hasn't got remounted ro
do to some error. Though you'd be unlikely to miss that fact!

Other than that a fsck may be in order.

Andrew