[dundee] Cron problems

chris wyllie cgwyllie at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 23 22:44:34 BST 2007

Hey, I know there's been a discussion about cron before and I read through
it but I'm still having issues.

I have a PHP script which connects to a database, reads a video file name
and then uses a shell command to run ffmpeg on the video file, converting
its format and size. The script itself works fine and I can call it directly
from a terminal as root. It has to be run as root to avoid permission
problems on the server. (the uploaded video files become owned by www-data
on my debian system). Anyway, I followed the previous discussion and read
some links off google about crontabs and it still doesn't work.

Here's the output of crontab -e:

root at Madeline[/var/www/hdmotherlode]# crontab -l
# m h  dom mon dow   command
* * * * * php -f /var/www/hdmotherlode/video_convertor.php

I edited it then waited. Nothing. I then killed all cron processes and
crond. Then /etc/init.d/cron force-reload then reload then restart. Still
nothing. Then I restarted my computer and still nothing happens.

Can somebody help me out here please?

Thanks in advance,
  Chris