[dundee] VMWare & Linux

gordon dunlop gordon at zubenel.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Sep 10 23:48:33 BST 2007

VMWare is used by 55% of companies that use virtualisation technologies,
and is soaring in share price where everyone wants to have a piece of
it. people are remarking how it is similar to Linux:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/16/vmware_derived_from_linux/

A recent statement by the company says the a new hypervisor will only be
32MB instead of 11 GB:

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/ZODvC0Fip8W0Au/VMware-Hypervisor-Takes-Up-Residence-in-New-Servers.xhtml

What does this remind me of (from my Master's dissertation), a
para-virtualised hypervisor similar to Xen to get near native
performance where it is just a Linux kernel with modifications. In the
case of Xen where the modifications or extensions are being integrated
into the Linux kernel, this seems to me that VMWare are using the Linux
kernel and modifying it for propriety uses and not returning the code.
In the case of XenSource which charges for their service to large
companies and is now sold to Citrix, they are only providing management
services add-ons to the original source code (which they have the
copyright). Now here is the rub, if VMWare took the Linux kernel and
pretended to everyone that it was not Linux, modified the code and not
returned any anything would they be in breach of the GPL? I am not a
lawyer, patents and copyright can confuse  the vast majority of ordinary
mortals, but I will wait and see what comes out of all this. Why the
silence from VMWare?, does it matter?, does this show that Linux is the
best to use in the virtualisation world?