[dundee] Microsoft tactics - Universities

gordon dunlop gordon at zubenel.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Sep 15 22:26:37 BST 2007

Hi James,
Great post, just the person I want to talk to regarding some of my
Santa Gates in giving away Office 2007 at knockdown prices is not only
happening in Academic Institutions but also in Health Boards. I told my
wife that she can get Office 2007 Professional for only £10 and if she
wanted to benefit from Uncle Bill's  bargain basement prices (sic)  then
it is up to her. She was not really interested  as she is happy using
Office 2003 (for work purposes) and is not interested in using an alien
system of using a ribbon interface. She is not interested in computers,
she just wants the work to be done using the applications she is
comfortable with. She uses openoffice in Fedora 7 for non-work purposes
and is reasonably comfortable with it as the toolbars and menus are
similar in a way with Office 2003. There is an odd grumble when
openoffice does not have a functionality that Office 2003 has, above
that it works O.K. for her. I reckon that Microsoft are trying to cover
their blushes in that people in general do not want to buy or use Office
2007 and that they are targeting specific Institutions into using their
products at knockdown prices.

Gordon