[dundee] First legal suit from the SFLC

gordon dunlop gordon at zubenel.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Sep 21 23:15:48 BST 2007

Hi All,
This is the first legal suit of the SFLC under the GPL version 2:

http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS2535349507

I think this will be the start, especially in embedded Linux devices
where a stripped kernel with specific applications is the only way to go
for operating these devices to keep the costs down. They are not
returning any modifications of the code or sometimes not even
acknowledging the use of open-source code, I hope this litigation is
successful. By the way I downloaded the IBM Lotus Symphony suite that is
now open-source (built upon Open Office). It is good to see Big Blue
joining the Open Office board and is committing 35 developers to the
Open Office project with the aim of merging the best features of Lotus
Symphony with Open Office. The download can be had from here:

http://symphony.lotus.com/software/lotus/symphony/home.jspa

The only thing is that it requires a minimum of 1 GB of ram and is only
supported on Fedora (Redhat) and SuSE (Novell) systems. You have to
register and it does take a while to download (A lot of people must be
downloading it), I used the secondary server rather than the primary
server using http as their download manager does not work. I will try it
on my Ubuntu partition (to see if it works O.K.), I want to try it as it
is supposed to load any Microsoft document (exception of Office 2007)
and will keep all formatting, apart from macros. I will test it out and
let you know what I think, the acid test will be my wife's views as she
is operating system agnostic and only wants things to work. First
impressions is that it looks cool, but I will probably wake up to
reality during the next week finding out what it can do and what it
cannot do. I will use use both mine and my wife's dissertations written
in Office 2003, with complex graphics, to see how it handles so if it
can these documents maybe we can use this software without having to use
Microsoft products anymore. I will give a report sometime.