[dundee] Taylug Weekly Articles 8 - POMS

Tim Spencer samurai.mit at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 20:09:13 GMT 2008

On 03/02/2008, Kris Davidson <davidson.kris at gmail.com> wrote:

> Tim mentioned 'The Cathedral and the Bazaar' by Eric S Raymond.
> Completely off topic but It gets misrepresented alot, I'm sure the
> points are applicable to Microsoft but at the time Eric was referring
> to Stallman and Free Software as the Cathedral with Open Source and
> himself being the Bazaar.
>
> Kris

I agree  and i have to find myself partly gulty of casting the  image on ms
but  to be fair the structures and the points mentioned mostly apply to ms
aswell.
but what i was really refereing to was (on my version page 32) The cost of
maintaing a program is 40% or more of the cost of developing it and this
strongly depends on the number of users. more users find more bug.
this i thought was a major  argumnet point not nessecarly in favour of Linux
(since its user base has not yet reached that of ms platforms)  but towards
the idea of comparing the two OS's.