[dundee] Taylug Weekly Articles 8 - POMS

Tim Spencer samurai.mit at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 20:23:07 GMT 2008

On 03/02/2008, Gary Short <gary at garyshort.org> wrote:

> Tim Spencer wrote:
> > 1. I though a discussin was a exchaning of opinions to come to the truth
> > of the subject but we are somhow focused on one argument same as the
> > OLPC one, this is what i meant with strange angle.
>
> I agree with your definition of a discussion. I agree that with the OLPC
> argument we got focused on one argument (MS/Closed source versus open
> source), however, if you look back the thread, I asserted that teachers
> on the ground was a better way to spend the money. No one came back to
> argue a counter point, and I was not the one who brought up MS versus
> Linux, it was other members of the list. So yes, I agree people do look
> at things from a strange angle sometimes, but if you read the postings
> you'll see its not me.

i disagre with the point made. what i was refering to was your point of
teachers which although a good idea was not valid in the context . (and
focibly coming back on that point to explain what i mean) teachers although
in direct  link to teaching in class are not to be replaced but that  the
main  point of the olpc project was to give children a means of  support i.e.
like tex books and direct help and information through www or  programs with
educational points, which so many children in our country have access to.
(refering to programs which help with languages etc. and one that my former
TOK teahcer made http://www.furbles.co.uk/)

> i once heared sombody saying that the simple
> > bugs hide the big ones.
>
> I once heard someone say "wibble".

i presume u mean the first definition (
http://onlinedictionary.datasegment.com/word/wibble). this person was
actually sombody rather important although i cannot remamber his name nor
where i read it, sometimes my mind deludes me

> 4. now what i was refering to that since ms is a company who has to
> > secure its many costomers it has to have some level of security now ms
> > forces major companies to jump on the band wagon called vista simply
> > because it has seased its support for xp (i think).
>
> No, it's only support for XP under SP1 that has ended, along with 98 and
> ME. How does MS force major companies to upgrade to Vista? None of the
> companies I work with have any plans to upgrade and they are not facing
> any pressure from MS to do so - not even the ones that are Gold Partners.

 >A another year yet for XP before its cast out into the wilderness...
well then they get forced but the plan still remains -  the pressure i am
refering to is passive since they all want to sustain their support