[dundee] Taylug Weekly Articles 8 - POMS

Robert McWilliam rmcw at allmail.net
Wed Feb 6 00:32:34 GMT 2008

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 10:52:38PM +0000, Gary Short wrote:
> I believe that the best way to educate kids is to provide teachers
> (that's what all the developed countries do).

Just because developed countries do it doesn't make it the best
approach.

> Others on this list believe the best "bang for the buck" in educating kids
> is with wind up laptops. Cool, no worries. I'm never going to convince you
> that teachers is where the investment should be made,

You might if you tried giving some reasons why you think paying for
teachers is a better plan. So far all you've said is that you think
teachers are better. Why?

> and you are never going to convince me that the investment should be
> in laptops.

That kind of statement worries me. You have just stated that either it
is impossible for there to be any piece of relevant information that
you don't know, or that even if presented with compelling evidence that
you're wrong you wont accept it.

> So stalemate; which is a good time to bring the discussion to an end
> I think.

I'm not that defeatist. Someone disagreeing with me is a chance to
explore the issue, and have some fun constructing arguments.