[dundee] Sugar O.S.

gordon dunlop astrozubenel at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 7 09:50:38 GMT 2008

This is for anyone wanting to have a look at the Sugar O.S., a cut
down modified version of Fedora for use in the OLPC. We can explore it
in Qemu, VirtualBox & VMware. Download the latest stable ext3
development release (653)
olpc-redhat-stream-ship.2-devel_ext3.img.bz2 from:
http://xs-dev.laptop.org/cscott/olpc/streams/ship.2/build653-20071214_1654/devel_ext3/

The file has now to be decompressed with the command:
$ bzip2 -d  olpc-redhat-stream-ship.2-devel_ext3.img.bz2
At this stage change the file name to something like sugar***.img,
file size about 1GB.
This can now be used in Qemu, for it to be used in VirtualBox or
VMware it has to be converted with the command:
$ qemu-img convert sugar***.img -O vmdk sugar***.vmdk
The .vmdk image can now be used in VirtualBox via file/virtual disk
manager where it is added as a hard disk. If anyone tries this can
they let me know what they think of sugar and if you get any problems
(so I can compare notes with my VM).