[dundee] Database front end - any ideas?

Andrew Clayton andrew at digital-domain.net
Fri Feb 8 15:52:28 GMT 2008

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 15:25:41 +0000, <3 wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> A bunch of us have a database project to do and I was wondering if
> anyone had any ideas for what we could use as a front end?
>
> We were thinking of maybe a having web interface. I believe the back

Certainly probably the quickest to bring up.

> end has to be Oracle. Preferably cross platform (mixture of windows,
> linux and OS X developers), and also if it requires an install it
> should be something we can all get our hands on easily.

PHP or Python is probably your best bet here, Or maybe even Java..
urghhh, can't believe I said that!

> I dont know a whole lot about databases.. but am always interested in
> learning something new and interesting.

In terms of talking to a database, you will normally get native
bindings for specific databases, failing that there is always ODBC. For
example with  PHP you've got http://uk3.php.net/manual/en/ref.oci8.php
for Oracle.

> All ideas welcome!
> -Jen