[dundee] Database front end - any ideas?

Gary Short gary at garyshort.org
Fri Feb 8 19:15:36 GMT 2008

Rick Moynihan wrote:
> On 08/02/2008, Gary Short <gary at garyshort.org> wrote:
>> Simon Wells wrote:
>>> Although if the idea of the project is for them to learn something about
>>> databases then using a tool that does the heavy lifting might be
>>> counterproductive. Bearing in mind that the tools that we would actually
>>> choose for real world development are often quite different to the ones
>>> selected for pedagogical use in a teaching and learning situation.
>>>
>>> Simon
>> True, but once you've done the CRUD stuff once, there's little point in
>> having to redo it over and over as your db schema changes as the project
>> moves forwards, best leave that to the framework and concentrate on the
>> parts of the sql that make the project what it is.
>
> The danger here is that depending on your domain and application there
> maybe no SQL to write.... e.g. a simple blog in rails is likely not to
> need much (if any) SQL.
>
> R.

True, ah the power of a scaffolding framework. Of course another benefit
of coding it yourself is that when you write your own stored procs that
gives you another application boundary at which to place a "gatekeeper",
giving your security strength in depth and making your whole application
just that little bit more secure. Of course that doesn't really have
anything to do with the question so appologies for going off at a
tangent LOL

--
Cheers,
Gary