[dundee] Image hard drive to file

Lee Hughes toxicnaan at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 25 01:13:36 GMT 2008

, how much consistency your after?

I like 100% , 100% of the time..

Sorry to jump down your throat on this issue, but your wrong.
I guess it comes from the days I ran (and still do) run servers.

but what I'm saying is, it works, but it hasn't , so it can't be done...

to all users on list, don't try this at home, unless you are
a) very silly
b) wanting to prove me wrong.

both, are valid reasons...

but don't come running to me, when you break both legs from jumping out
of windows....

(paradox)

Andrew Clayton <andrew at digital-domain.net> wrote: On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 00:38:17 +0000 (GMT), Lee Hughes wrote:

> just because unix lets you do something like this, doesn't mean it's
> either correct or sensible. if you want to do online backup like this
> PROPERLY, look at lvm2, which can do hot backup using snapshot files..
>
> okay,,, dd while mounted is bad, and I'd rather you not post it here
> in case people on this list actually take that as good advice, which
> it isn't.
>
> unmount, or use a logical volume manager...end of story.

Ideally yes. If not then it should still generally be OK. I guess it
depends on much guarantee of consistency your after.

Chat on IRC, #tlug on dundee.lug.org.uk