[dundee] Image hard drive to file

Robert McWilliam rmcw at allmail.net
Mon Feb 25 01:25:26 GMT 2008

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 01:13:26 +0000 (GMT), "Lee Hughes"
<toxicnaan at yahoo.co.uk> said:
> Sorry to jump down your throat on this issue, but your wrong.
> I guess it comes from the days I ran (and still do) run servers.

Saying that you can use dd to copy a mounted fs is not wrong. It can be
done.

Nobody has claimed it is a good idea if what you are after is a working
copy of the fs, and I even tried to explain why it's a bad idea. I think
explaining the pitfalls is far more useful than just telling people it
can't be done. As evidenced by Andrew doing it, telling geeks something
can't be done is a pretty good way to get them to try it :)
Robert McWilliam     rmcw at allmail.net    www.ormiret.com

Everything should be made as simple as possible - but no simpler.
	-- Albert Einstein