[dundee] multi boot

Digit (SG) digit.siljrath at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 1 01:32:31 BST 2008

i recommend at least having a quick play around with virtualbox to see how
kid's-play easy it is.

all u need is,
host OS, whatever you are on just now, even windows.
download virtualbox if it's not already on it,
and a linux ISO, either live, or install (if u have more hd space to spare
for it)

et viola.

i've really only used it for browsing through distributions, as indeed,
there are some aspects which require some extra fiddling with to get to
fully function, though i'm told it's all perfectly do-able.   and as per
your needs, you may never even get so far as to find out what doesnt work.
though, coding and so on is outside my area of knowledge, so, dont know if
what you'd be using it for would hit stumbling blocks with virtualised
systems.

there are significant advantages with virtualisation.  it makes the whole
system a bit more flexible, and although you take a performance knock, this
is often worth it from other practical productivity gains, especially if you
need a multi platform environment or are likely to be in windows one moment
and linux the next.  no need for reboots.

but dont take my word for it, theres still lots i have yet to learn about
it, such as how to get seamless mode to work.   mmmm....  windows and linux
on the same screen, rather than the guest os in a little window.   very
swish.

all the best with your current project.

"Hi Nustur,

Probably not the answer you're looking for but I've noticed that Asus Mobo's
have boot loader built into them, just press F8 on the POST screen and pick
your boot drive/device.

Cheers
Barry
"

oh... other manufacturers dont include that as standard these days?   golly.
i just take it for granted now.   it's saved me so much hassle so many
times.