[dundee] multi boot

Nistur nistur at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 5 23:16:48 BST 2008

In case anyone comes across this in future and can also not deal with 2 boot
menus chaining just to boot an OS I thought I'd post an update.

It is assumed that XP is installed first and Vista second. This does cause
some confusion because they don't keep to the same drive letters. XP being
on the first partition claims C: but Vista renames it to D: and sticks
itself on "C:" itself. I will stick to Vista being on D: and XP as C:

Vista writes it's boot manager (bootmgr) to the first partition (as with XP
writing ntldr to the first partition). With a lot of switching between Linux
and rebooting testing I have discovered that it works just as well if you
copy bootmgr and the BCD (Boot Configuration Data store) to D: The only
problem is that bcdedit (the inbuilt bcd command line editor) still points
to C:. Data within the newly copied store can be modified by adding the
/store option (this is actually as it was typed in Vista, so no remixing of
drive letters)
bcdedit /store C:\Boot\BCD /set {bootmgr} device "partition=C:"

Currently, Grub now boots Vista directly from it's own menu option, the
problem is currently that XP doesn't boot, it complains about not having
bootmgr present. I am for now going to try and create a new BCD store and
stick a copy of bootmgr on C: and then chain grub -> bootmgr -> ntldr. It
seems a bit long winded so if anyone ever forces themself onto windows for
long enough to work it out I'd like to know. Also I don't know where Vista
keeps information about where the BCD is stored, I now have to add /store
every time I want to edit the BCD. True, I probably won't need to once I've
sorted this out but it is something wrong :)

*sigh* it's been a long day of messing around with Windows. At least I've
also got a nice clean Linux install I can work on configuring now to relax
:D