[dundee] Ubuntu Install RAID 1 + LVM is a no go..

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Thu Jul 31 14:25:49 BST 2008

Hi Lee,

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 10:59:31AM +0000, Lee Hughes wrote:
> I've been messing around with raid 1 and lvm , before you tell me that software
> raid is a bad idea, I know, I'm just playing around with it.

Why would anyone tell you it is a bad idea?  It's fine, better than
hardware in many cases, and always a lot better than none at all.

> However, the ubunutu installer refuses to let me setup up a raid1 (md0) mirror,
> with a lvm on top of that... is that normal..or is that a bug? or impossible configuration.
>
> I can't see why I can't use a raid device (md0) as part of volume group? I think
> it may be the installer that somewhat damaged?

It works for me.  You need to mark md0 as a physical volume for lvm.
I have just this configuration on my (Ubuntu Hardy) desktop.

Cheers,
Andy

Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB