[dundee] Ubuntu Install RAID 1 + LVM is a no go..

Lee Hughes toxicnaan at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 31 15:52:06 BST 2008

Okay, so software raid is cool , and I can see it's advantages over hardware raid..

but

If I install an ubunutu machine, I go through manual partitioning, and set up a raid 1
mirror (using two disks). If I then tell lvm to setup on that drive (raid device 0), the
install then tried to parition the md device into two parts, a ext3 /boot and the rest
as lvm.

as we all know you can't partition raid devices, so them comes meltdown.

I've tried to be clever too and create two raid device 1, for /boot and 1 for the lvm
but the install just tried to partition again...

I presume you've all set up raid and lvm *after* the initial install of the o/s

enlighten me!!