[dundee] VMWare Server 2.0

gordon dunlop astrozubenel at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 1 07:31:57 UTC 2008

2008/9/30 Lee Hughes <toxicnaan at yahoo.co.uk>:
> well, Gordon, you can't sell me on vmware,

Lee I am not trying to sell anybody anything, when it comes to which
virtualisation technology to use it is horses for courses i.e. user
requirements. I am just noticing the rapid improvement in the free
offerings that VMWare are giving out (due to virtualisation
competition hotting up). Red Hat have recently bought Qumranet, the
company behind KVM which is in the Linux kernel. Whilst Xen is the
virtualisation technology of choice for Red Hat, the rationale behind
this acquisition is to maintain the open source nature of KVM and to
develop it within the Linux kernel. So as KVM development improves its
functionality, there will be a time when there is a total Linux kernel
virtualisation solution and no-one will really need Virtual Box,
VMWare or Xen. A couple of years ago there was talk of having Xen and
OpenVZ fully implemented within the Linux kernel, whilst there are
large chunks of code from Xen and OpenVZ within the Linux kernel, this
has never happened.

Gordon