[dundee] VMWare Server 2.0

Jason Cormie Jason-lug at wormwood666.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 1 08:40:37 UTC 2008

gordon dunlop wrote:
> 2008/9/30 Lee Hughes <toxicnaan at yahoo.co.uk>:
>> well, Gordon, you can't sell me on vmware,
>
> Lee I am not trying to sell anybody anything, when it comes to which
> virtualisation technology to use it is horses for courses i.e. user
> requirements. I am just noticing the rapid improvement in the free
> offerings that VMWare are giving out (due to virtualisation
> competition hotting up). Red Hat have recently bought Qumranet, the
> company behind KVM which is in the Linux kernel. Whilst Xen is the
> virtualisation technology of choice for Red Hat, the rationale behind
> this acquisition is to maintain the open source nature of KVM and to
> develop it within the Linux kernel.

Redhat have stated that they will support Xen till at least 2014, they
describe KVM as "the next generation of virt technology"... sounds to me that
an redhat dev work on xen beyond maintenance will vanish quickly...

http://www.redhat.com/promo/qumranet/

> So as KVM development improves its
> functionality, there will be a time when there is a total Linux kernel
> virtualisation solution and no-one will really need Virtual Box,
> VMWare or Xen. A couple of years ago there was talk of having Xen and
> OpenVZ fully implemented within the Linux kernel, whilst there are
> large chunks of code from Xen and OpenVZ within the Linux kernel, this
> has never happened.

openvz kernel work
http://community.livejournal.com/openvz/23621.html