[dundee] dual boot

Robert McWilliam rmcw at allmail.net
Thu Oct 2 14:34:47 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 09:14:35PM +0200, Jacek Sapieja wrote:

>  ?
>                  I finally managed to install winxp on my toshiba.
>                  When I restart it loads ubuntu without boot menu display.
>                  Is that a matter of config file edition ?
>                              Jacek

You can control what ubuntu does upon boot by editing
/boot/grub/menu.lst

I suspect you'll want to add an entry for the windows partition above
or below the automagic bit, and increase the timeout (it defaults to
very short (possibly 0) if you don't actually have anything to choose
from when you installed.

I think there might be more problems for you though as windows will
normally overwrite the MBR when you install it, but if ubuntu is still
booting then you've still got grub in the MBR. If you deliberately
stopped windows overwriting the MBR then you can ignore my prophecies
of doom and carry on...

   Robert